Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Breeding Program

Our goal here at Blue Rose Cats is to develope a line of Si-Rex cats. To have more insight into our breeding program please view the post on the Cornish Rex history and the post on background information as to why I choose to breed Si-Rexes.
The Si-Rex cat is very rarely seen in the US. While the Cornish Rex can come in colorpoints, because of the trend of breeding programs it is difficult to find a colorpoint rex...let alone just a rex! I love the siamese colors, but I desire to have the rex coat, however the sharp angularity of most Cornish Rexes does not really appeal to me as much as the softer curves of the classic type siamese. Thus I'd like to make available here in the US what is already being done in Europe...a siamese/cornish rex hybrid breed being developed into it's own breed with it's own standard.
Keep in mind that in November 2006 I had my very first litter of Si-Rex kittens (and they don't even have the rex coat) so my breeding program has only just been born...literally, and it'll take awhile for it to grow and mature into something bigger. I plan to be importing most of my Cornish Rex and Si-Rex stock from Europe and the UK where there is a larger population of them.
I choose to work with the Cornish Rex instead of working with the other rex cat breeds available because I think their conformation fits better with the ideal I am seeking than the other breeds do, however if I am able to find any German Rexes (whose genes have proven to mix well with Cornish rex and produce rexed kittens) then I will certainly jump at the chance to add them to my program as well because, based upon photos I've seen, their conformation is an even better match for the Ideal that I picture.
I am seeking others within the US and Canada whom are also very interested in making the Si-Rex a seperate and recognized breed.
I have not yet finalized a rough draft copy of a standard for the Si-Rex, and such work is best finished with a group of enthusiasts rather than just one person, when the "new" breed has been around before the "founder" got involved. (P.S...therefore, I do NOT consider myself the founder of this breed...merely it's champion)

No comments: